Cleveland Botanical Temporarily Closed to the Public
The Cleveland Botanical Garden is closed to the public beginning Friday, March 13, 2020 due to the state of Ohio’s mandate surrounding social distancing to prevent the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19). If we are able to safely reopen before April 26, the Rainforest Adventure exhibit will resume. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Saturday, March 7 – Sunday, April 26
Tuesday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday: 10am – 5pm
Wednesday: 10am – 9pm
Sunday: Noon – 5pm
Free for members
$15 adults, $10 children (ages 3 – 12)
Discover the wonder and mystery of the rainforest through an interactive maze as you swing through the highest branches, fly through the understory, and help birds migrate. After you make your way through the maze, immerse yourself in the sights and sounds of the rainforest in the Eleanor Armstrong Smith Glasshouse, featuring birds, iguanas and other creatures, including double the usual number of live tropical butterflies.
Explore the four layers of the rainforest canopy with hands-on activities and adventures:
Emergent Layer – With trees reaching over 200 feet tall, the emergent layer towers over everything in the rainforest.
- Migratory Bird Magnet Maze – Help migratory birds make the incredible journey from winter resting grounds to summer nesting grounds. But watch out for hazards along the way.
Canopy Layer – The roof of the forest, the canopy is a tangled green layer of leaves, vines, fruits and colorful flowering plants. This dense layer allows little light to penetrate to the forest floor.
- Brachiation Station – Get into the swing of things! Do you have the strength, grace and timing to swing like a spider monkey and other primates? We think you do!
- Spider Web Climb – Spiders are a vital part of the rainforest food chain, feeding birds and other animals. Get a spider’s eye view of a web you don’t want to get tangled up in…or DO you?
Understory – In the understory, smaller trees compete for the little sunlight that filters through the thick green roof of the canopy.
- Butterfly Zipline – Spread your wings and sail 10 feet through the understory as a butterfly.
- Butterfly Camouflage Mural – See if you can find these cleverly disguised creatures in all four stages of their development: egg, larvae, chrysalis, and adult.
- Hanging Vines – Descend deeper through the Understory on hanging vines, getting ever closer to the Forest Floor.
Forest Floor – With a tangle of large roots and very little light, the Forest Floor is filled with plants specially adapted to low light and high moisture.
- Architecture by Nature – Witness the engineering genius of nature by seeing how a 100-foot tall tree can stand in 18 inches of soil. Learn how buttress roots make all the difference by building your own.
- Frog Jump – Frogs can jump over 10x their body length. How far can you jump? Check your height and see if you can go the distance.
Try the Rainforest Word Search in the Glasshouse.
Free play area for kids in the 2nd floor Kids Nook.
Rainforest Adventure is designed by Minotaur Mazes.
The Cleveland Botanical Garden is supported in part by the residents of Cuyahoga County through a public grant from Cuyahoga Arts & Culture.